Monday, January 23, 2006

About the cast

So, we now have the cast finalized for the movie. Don't we? Is there anyone who has a major complaint about their part? Does someone want a bigger part, smaller part, or another part?
I am glad that I now have some characters to work with, but there is one small issue.

I don't speak Japanese, so I can't write in it. The rest of this post is directed to my co-writer and Neko. The rest of you can stop reading.

Neko, how do you propose this be written? Trina suggested just having you say some random things in Japanese and people respond with a stupid answer, but you didn't like that. How are people supposed to understand what is happening? Do tell us what you have in mind.

And as I mentioned in my comment on the other blog, you were the one who suggested going after the Righter. You were going to say that line, but you can't if it's in Japanese, unless you suddenly switch to English. Of course, everyone would have to notice that.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible for you to speak only Japanese. I'm just saying that it will have to be worked carefully, unless you want to be mute for the entire film. We could work it in that no one does understand what Neko is saying. We could have only one other character understand what she's saying and translate for the others. Perhaps Psy-chic could read the subtitles as well as hearing the background music. We do have options.

I hope this hasn't upset you. Catnip?

4 comments:

tawngap said...

I have a thought. How about you write Clarissa's lines in English... then she can get them translated into Japanese. And then one of my psychic powers can be to understand everything she's saying... even if it's in Japanese.

Just a thought. -T

treen said...

I like having Tawnia read subtitles along with hearing the background music, instead of actually knowing Japanese to translate it.

So now I have a technical question for Eric - will the subtitles, inserted during the editing process, be at the bottom or the top of the screen? We'll need to write into the screenplay that Tawnia will look up or down to read off the line. Also, the subtitle will need to stay on the screen until she's done reading it, so it looks like she's actually looking at it. And we can also make some cracks about her having to read things upside down, or something.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think this is funnier than the way I described it on your other blog. Go Psy-chic!

Eric said...

Bottom of the screen of course. We'll add them in post production (which will be overlapping production). It'll be easy to time them so they come and go when we want them.

Ah... nothing like a good subtitle gag!