Thursday, September 30, 2004

Traditions

Before I talk of traditions, Jared is finished with college on December 18, 2004. His graduation is not until Sunday, February 27 at 3PM. Everyone in my family went to community college or technical schools, so this will be the first university graduation I will go to. Hooray!

My family's traditions were generally very low key, possibly with a touch of down home-county. At Christmas, we went to my grandparent's small frame house. Normally 80-100 people would show up and sit on any available floor space. For the down home part, banana pudding, macaroni, and dumplings were always served along with ham and more traditional fixings. Of course, the football game was always on no matter what holiday it was. Presents was generally a free for all at my parent's house Christmas morning. I don't know, my memories of holidays and such are good ones. We never really took vacations, but we went to Six Flags and local attractions a lot. That was fun.

As far as traditions I want in my family, hmm. I guess those form over time and then without knowing it you have a tradition. I'm generally opposed to trick-or-treating, because it is dangerous. Instead, we go to a fall festival with candy, stories, bounce houses, games, ect. That's more fun any way. For Christmas, I love going to the light parade each year. I love parades for 4th of July, New Years, Christmas, Thanksgiving, anytime. I would like to buy a tent and start camping in the spring and fall when the weather is nice. I guess that could be a tradition. Since, Bryan loves sports so much, I see that in the future also. Well, don't want to ramble on forever.
Michelle

No comments: