Friday, September 10, 2004

Mom and music

When I was a little girl my brothers had music lessons from Mr. Samuelson, a very kind old man, in Bellingham. I always wanted to go to. I remember one time I got to go, not for violin lessons but for voice lessons. I don’t know how old I was but I know that he thought it was very funny when he played a note on the piano and sang it. I tried to sing what he sang rather than what he played and I couldn’t go that low. I was embarrassed when my dad teased me about it. I don’t know why I was never allowed to learn the violin. When I was in the 8th or 9th grade we lived in an area where they started instruments in elementary school. Cheryl got to take violin and I was jealous once again. Finally, my turn came, not to learn the violin but the piano. Our seminary teacher said his wife would give free lessons to whoever would lead the music in class. I volunteered very quickly and got a start in learning to play. As you all know I’m not very good at it but, since one of my top 100 things to do is play ten songs on the piano, I’d better start practicing. I think learning the piano will be plenty for me.

No comments: