Monday, September 06, 2004

Concerning heirlooms, memories, and other stuff

Hello, family.

My heirloom is a little cedar trunk I got from Mom when I was twelve. She said she got it when she was twelve. It says, "Bellingham, Washington" on the top. I use it as a jewelry box.

On September 11, I was in bed, and I first heard it from Clarissa when she was shouting about New York being on fire. I don't remember where I was when I learned about the Berlin Wall coming down and I didn't really understand the significance (I was only eight at the time), but I knew it was important. Our encyclopedias became instantly outdated.

And you may be wondering what I have been doing, besides writing fantasy. Well, Jon has been over a lot lately, showing up twenty to thirty minutes early each time -- sometimes before I get dressed. Today we watched "Willow." Next time we might watch "Princess Bride." He hadn't seen either. (I thought everyone's seen "Princess Bride.")

He came over on Friday as well and stayed all day. Nine hours was a bit too long for me. We didn't do much anyway -- canned pears, watched TV, had lunch, went to the park and played cards, sat and talked, or rather I talked while he stared at me. It was starting to make me feel uncomfortable.

And the weekend before that, we went out and saw "Princess Diaries 2." Very funny movie.

He says he'll come again in a couple of weeks; it's the stake service day, and the branch will be going to the cannery.

As to how this will go in the future, he hopes it will get more serious after he finishes JobCorps. And I don't think it will. He gets nervous around Mom and Dad and Clarissa. How would he react with the rest of the family here?

Love,
Emily

No comments: