Thursday, September 23, 2004

avid readers

Yes, I am an avid reader - I'm currently an avid reader of state laws about medical malpractice lawsuits. Fuuuuuuuuun ...

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: the way to get into the writing industry, or any industry or profession for that matter, is TALK TO PEOPLE ALREADY IN IT. In politics and government, it's all about "who you know." I did not get my DC job based on my qualifications. I got my job because of Ramona, and I met Ramona because of Karyn, and I met Karyn because I got off my butt and joined Model UN. My qualifications help me keep my job. They did not help me get my job.

It's the same thing for writing. Your first step should have been, and still should be, to get involved in some of the online message boards in the writing community. Those people will tell you much better than any of us how to write a novel better. From there, I'm sure you can meet people in Portland. You are not going to publish your books by locking yourself in your room chained to that old computer. While we, your fantastic family, are indeed avid readers and probably really good editors as well, we don't know anyone already in the writing community.

For your book in particular, I would just advise you to be ready to accept a lot of criticism because that's exactly what you've asked for, and don't get upset when people tell you what could be better about your story. As for me - quite frankly, fantasy books do not interest me. I enjoy fantasy movies - Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc ... But the books are very difficult for me to get through.

And this advice goes to everyone, no matter what job you want (or if you also want to publish a book). You need to meet people in your chosen profession. Skills and talent will take you far, but only so far. You also need connections.

Thank you for your patience in reading my rant. *end soapbox mode*

No comments: