Thursday, October 27, 2005

the script

I've finally taken a look at the script Emily wrote, and I have one BIG FAT criticism of it. This was actually pointed out by Adam during the instant messenger conversation last weekend - he said then that the conversation seemed to be very funny to our family, but it wasn't funny to him. It was all little family jokes. He pointed out that inside jokes are fine if the movie will be kept to just the 10 of us original Palmers, but it won't be funny to anyone else we show it to just because they don't get it. And really - what kind of a joke is it if you have to explain it.

That said, the script is nothing BUT family inside jokes. No one else besides the 10 of us will get it, and therefore, no one else besides the 10 of us will think it's funny. So my thought is, let's use this as a VERY preliminary starting point. Adam and I will show Emily a couple of Pink Panther movies when she gets out here to DC in December so she understands what Adam was talking about with using some of those plot points. Then we can help her with the script to expand it, and Adam will be the advisor to tell us what is too much of an inside joke. I know that puts things off for a couple of months, but it's not like we have to get this finished tomorrow and it's getting into the holidays anyway when everyone is busy with other things. So does that work? Also, it gives time for everyone else to give feedback and build on the idea that Emily started with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I already emailed Emily suggesting she start BIG and we can work it down as necessary rather that starting small and trying to build. I think the same advice applies here -- start by getting a good story in place, and then we can stick in a few inside jokes later. But get the story first. And make it big.

If you want to design a building, you don't start by picking out wallpaper and then seeing what architecture matches it.

Skippy said...

Perhaps some of the other in-laws would like to put in some comments as to whether or not the jokes are too "inside". But I do agree with you very much.

Nathan

Frank and Evelyn said...

Let's hear some positive comments guys. She really meant it when she said she'd throw it to the wolves and see what was left when they were done with it. I like the script. It has a long way to go but I think the inside jokes are cute. I wouldn't add anymore. I think she's starting simple and realisitic as far as location and filming is concerned and that's fine. We don't have a month to spend filming it. As for Pink Panther, I never cared for it and wouldn't get the jokes from there because I haven't seen it in forever. Threre is a lot of work to do on developing characters, etc. And it won't hurt to shelve it for a month or so but I think she has a great beginning and a fun storyline.