Saturday, October 09, 2004

News from the Palmers... oh yeah... well, from Eric and Laurel

Hi everybody.

Right now Rachel (Laurel's sister) is at our house with Chris and Lance. Lance is so cute these days. He talks all the time and says really funny stuff. He's three. Sorry Trina, the baby bird is already named. Laurel is expert at naming pets. She even names other peoples' pets, stray cats... (aw, Lance just came in and gave me a hug) So anyway, the birds' names are Seedy and Sammy. Yes, there's now two baby birds, and the third should hatch soon.

Today I spent all day at the college (Cal-State Fullerton) for a program symposium. It was fun seeing all my online cohorts in real life. Good times. I'm excited about wrapping up the program this winter and graduating in May. Amazing how the time has flown.

About the page, I think it's great what everyone has done so far. Check out Nathan's poems if you haven't yet. Jared is right about the Word files taking up more space (and download time), so I also recommend learning html. I will say to Jared that you don't need to worry so much about space. The Word-generated files are fine, and the pictures are fine. I mean, we can back everything up at some point and keep a record of the blog, but there's no hurry. I would just HIGHLY ENCOURAGE everyone to keep their image sizes down. A 100K picture is much worse than a 20K html file (that could be 5K). So check your file sizes of your pictures before uploading. If they're more than say 40K, consider resizing. End of lecture.

And now the boys are playing with my green army men on the carpet of my room. Boys only in here. Yeah!

On the subject of traditions, Laurel and I have a few. One of them that is unique is Van Gogh Day. I think it's March 6th. We make a cake and decorate it like a Van Gogh painting. It's to commemorate Laurel's writing of a paper on Van Gogh, many years ago.

We celebrate each other's birthdays every year, and we have traditional Christmas and Thanksgiving (often with extended family in Oregon, Idaho, or here in California). We also like to watch fireworks on the Fourth of July, go to baseball games and the beach in the summer, and play Frisbee at the park on New Year's. I just made up the last one, but we did that one time, with Gary and Karen Knowlton.

Okay. I'd better wrap this up. Laurel left to take care of Rachel's dog for a few minutes, and the boys are putting away the toys. What good boys.

I love all of you, and I'll talk to you later.

Love, Eric

No comments: