Thursday, October 28, 2004

Mom's Bike Stories

First I want to let Mindy and Clarissa know that I enjoyed the updates to their pages. Thanks for pointing them out. I also stumbled upon a comment Tawnia added to my bike question. I just thought I'd point that out to everyone.

When I was little I didn't have a bike. Joy had a bike but it was HUGE. By the time I was big enough to ride it, I think it was too worn out to ride. I was also a bit scared of bikes. I remember one time Sylvia got her foot caught in the spokes of our neighbors bike when they took her for a ride. She was probably just over a year because she had to learn to walk all over again. I don't remember if it was that time or another time that someone had a similar accident, but I was on a scooter and the bike was dropped on me. I landed in the gravel on the road and my ankle had lots of gravel embedded in it.

After Dad and I were married, some friends tried to get me to ride their bike. I decided to give it a try and nearly rode into the swimming pool. Instead I crashed into a wall because I couldn't figure out how to use hand brakes. Neither the bike or I were hurt.

My best biking memory was from the summer we spent a week at the beach. We borrowed Gary's tandem bike and tied it to the top of our car to get it down to the beach. It was great fun biking around the roads and bike trails with Frank. He had sprained his ankle just before we went so he was taking it easy and not putting too much weight on it. I commented on how much exercise I was getting and he challenged me to take the whole weight. I didn't notice much difference when he stopped pedaling but when I stopped and let him do it all he agreed that I was carrying my weight and then some. We had a great time with the bike and I've always wanted to get one. Maybe I should put that on my Christmas list.

No comments: