Thursday, March 30, 2006

A post that has nothing to do with the movie

Classes have been keeping me busy. I have a math quiz tomorrow -- we're working on trig. But there's no philosophy class, because the teacher will be out of town. He's giving a lecture in Utah. I'm working on my history paper on Yorktown; still in the research and not actual writing phase. In music history, I've been working on a project which requires me to listen to Mozart's 40th symphony about ten times.

And I've been going to the Quiz Bowl practices. The team is scheduled to go to the nationals -- we're 25th in the nation. And if any of them can't make it, I might be their back up.

I signed up for classes for next semester: German, astronomy, American civ, and I'm on the wait list for the Civil War class. (Which according to another guy means that I'm in the class.)

For those of you who do not check the BBC Meltdown blog, I have a date to the Spring Ball. His name is Brent; he's in my history class.

And of course there is my writing class. Today, my story was critiqued. I learned I really need to research warfare in the Middle Ages. (So that might not make it into the draft I'll turn in at the very end; I'm over the required word count already, and there's still information I could put into the story.)

And what did the infamous Orson Scott Card say about my writing? "I knew you had the ambition, but I didn't know you had the ability. This is PUBLISHABLE." So, it's not a best seller, but it's publishable. And about fifty times better than what I turned in the first time. I have the pacing right. It was good. I just need to do more research; that's all.

Emily

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently read a book called Eragon. It reminded me alot of your Larelm stories. Have you looked into Writers of the Future?

Emily said...

I've entered it before, and I probably will again.

treen said...

See, Emily? It's just what I've been telling you all these years - you needed an editor who could really tell you how to make things work.

I HAVE BEEN VINDICATED!!!

Frank and Evelyn said...

WOW!! I knew you could do it. Keep working and you'll be a published author yet. I'm proud of you.
MOM