Monday, March 06, 2006

The Library of Congress

Today, I went to the dentist to get my tooth glued in, and then I went to the Supreme Court Building and the Library of Congress. I saw a film about the Supreme Court, and then I went into the courtroom where we heard about who sits where and about the architecture and history. It was pretty neat. Then I went to the Library of Congress. I joined a guided tour, and we heard about how the library was built. There was a Gutenberg Bible, as well as one of the last hand-copied bibles. There is a lot of amazing architecture -- paintings on the ceilings, mosaics on the floors, sculptures in between. And we went to a balcony that overlooked the main reading room. There are always people doing research, but with the Internet, there aren't as many as there used to be. After the tour I looked at one exhibit on American treasures, including a lot of the writings of Benjamin Franklin, and then I saw an exhibit on Bob Hope. I also walked across the street to the Madison Building (there are multiple buildings that make up the Library of Congress), and I saw an exhibit of different kinds of maps. Then I met Trina at Union Station. Tomorrow, I'm planning on seeing the American History Museum.

No comments: