Thursday, September 08, 2005

Kittens

Yesterday, Nekoshi was acting rather peculiar. She was clingy, always crawling into my lap or following me from one room to the next. When I was making and eating dinner, she was always around my ankles, even though I put her in her box in the utility room several times. When Mom got home, she ran to her, rubbed her ankles, and then jumped in the box. She seemed to be nervous and confused. So Mom sat with her and then I sat with her for a while, because Mom was getting ready to leave. Just as she left around six, Nekoshi started yowling and crying, and then she had her first kitten -- a blotchy gray and black kitten that was always crawling around and made such a squeaking sound that I dubbed it Squeakers. Nekoshi calmed down after it was born and started washing it.

I took some pictures (which will come later) and was still watching when about 20 or 30 minutes later, a second kitten was born. I actually saw it being born; it came out all red and covered with goop, but Nekoshi washed it. This one was a gray, fluffball, probably the largest of the kittens, and with its bare tail and size, that when Mom got home, she said it looks like a Mousie. But since it did nothing but eat, it might be renamed Piggy.

After that, nothing happened for a while, but we could tell there were still more kittens to come. Around 10, she had her third baby, a little tiny thing (they're only five or six inches long, I think) and it was called Teeny. About half an hour later (the microwave clock said 10:32), a fourth kitten was born, and then at 11, a fifth kitten. One is black with white around the face, so Clarissa named it Phantom. She says it will be Phantom Erik if it's a boy and Phantom Meg if it's a girl. The other gray with stripes on its tail and face (looks a lot like Teeny, so it's hard to tell them apart) and Clarissa and I decided this morning to call it Yami, which is Japanese for Shadow.

1 comment:

Mindy Sebastian said...

Yippee! Five little kittens! I'm very happy for Koshi! Make sure you get her some good Mommy cat food for a while, so she has the energy to feed the kittnes. Good names .. but I'd just leave it Phantom (not Erik or Meg, unless Clarissa is planning on keeping it herself!) .. and Mousie. It's just funny to have a cat named Mousie! Send me pictures .. lots of pictures! Definately more as they get bigger.