Thursday, September 08, 2005

I agree

I agree with Tawnia, my second day at school went much better than the first. I know that my day is a LOT different than hers, and a lot less stressful, but it's still my job and I still work there too. On the first day, Mrs. Bird was rather unorganized. It didn't help that we didn't have a clock in our classroom, so we had to keep stepping next door to find out the time. We read lots of stories, and colored ... but then I think it was "Hey! You're in school now! Good .. let's just keep you entertained for the day." It didn't help that we can't go outside for recess, and we have to eat lunch in the classroom too. But yesterday we started discussing rules, and sharing things about ourselves (little brown bags that they put 5 things in about themselves) .. I got to pull kids aside one at a time to have them make a hand-print, to put on the wall. It's very basic, but the kids enjoyed putting stickers on them to make them unique. We did some writing, and the kids were a lot faster with those .. but making a graph about how many of which colored rubber bands they have was a bit more tricky. I got to use the copy machine a lot, for the math papers for the entire 1st grade (there are three classes). Basically, I felt much more useful the second day. But on the first day I did get to drive her mini-van to WalMart to pick up some snacks. I didn't tell her it was my first time driving a mini-van, but everything went fine, and I didn't hit anything.

Funny story of yesterday: when I came into the classroom, the kids were all sitting on the floor in the back, talking about the rules with Mrs. Bird. I sat and listened. We ended up writing down "listen to person in front" and "be good, nice and quiet" but there were lots of other suggetions like: "don't poke your friends," "don't cut your hair," "listen to your Heavenly Father" (and then just after) "listen to the Holy Ghost" "don't put glue on the walls" .. it was very fun to hear.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Good stories! Reminds me of being in the first First Grade class at Wascher. We didn't have desks for a while, and had to use boards on our laps. Of course, we didn't really care. The teacher seemed worried about it, but we just did as we were told.

Michelle said...

Okay, I like most of those rules, but why can't they cut their hair or put glue on the wall. Just kidding.