Wednesday, February 15, 2006

my olympics comment

Maybe this is totally heartless, but I was not exactly sad to see Michelle Kwan step out of the Olympics. My thought, since the start of the TV coverage, has been "ENOUGH!!! Talk about SOMEONE ELSE!!!" This same thing happened in what little I saw of the Salt Lake Olympics - Michelle Kwan got injured and couldn't compete in the US championships to decide who would go to the Olympics, but she petitioned and they let her on the team anyway. She was The Story of the Games - would she win that elusive gold? The only medal she didn't have? Over and over and over ad nauseum, and then she placed 4th and got upstaged by a little kid half her age who COULD land all the jumps that she couldn't. And now 4 years later, here we go again ... The exact same frickin' story - injury, no competing in the US championships, got into the Olympics by petition, blah blah blah. Mercifully, it has ended. (Until 4 years from now when we may have to go through it all again.) To Michelle Kwan - It's OVER. You've had your time in the sun for a frickin' decade (no exaggeration), and now it's someone else's turn. LET IT GO.

Yes, I get irritated easily at stupid things right now, but really. This was just ridiculous.

Pregnancy report: As of this past Sunday, I'm now in the 3rd trimester. My energy level has been dropping in the last couple of weeks and it's getting much harder to drag myself to work every day. I just don't want to go. Adam says I'm "nesting" now - over the weekend, I totally scrubbed the kitchen and dining room like I was possessed. He just stayed out of the way. I took more weird tests at the doctor this morning - this one a "glucose test." It's to make sure I don't have gestational diabetes (I'll get the results at my next appointment in 2 weeks) - basically, I drank this super sweet orange soda stuff really fast that gave me stomach cramps, and then had blood drawn. About 2 hours later, I had that crash like when you eat way too much Christmas stuff - I just wanted to go to sleep, and I've been dragging all day since then and a headache is coming on. But for a while, I was rushing around getting all kinds of stuff done at work. Weeeeee!!!! It was almost comical.

Adam and I are leaving tomorrow morning to go down to Florida to see his family for a few days. I need a break from work and he needs to visit the Fairbanks's, his "adopted" grandparents. They're moving to live with their daughter in Minnesota or something like that, so he needs to go say goodbye to them. It's pretty much the last chance I have to travel before the doctor cuts me off, it's my last chance before work gears up again with more conference planning, and it's the last trip we'll be able to take by ourselves for a goodly number of years. So off we go.

No comments: