Monday, November 15, 2004

presidents

I don't know that any of us kids really have much leeway to answer the question of "What President do you remember the most." There have only been 4 since none of us remember the Nixon/Ford/Carter 70s. I'd just started 3rd grade when Reagan was elected in 1980 and he had 2 terms. Then Bush I, Clinton for 2 terms, and now Bush 2 also into a 2nd term. I remember the dissolving of the Soviet Union and the Persian Gulf war in 1991, but don't connect the president with those events. Clinton - eh - I'll skip that. Bush 2 is when I finally started paying attention to federal politics. And everyone knows what's memorable about the last 4 years - the Florida recount fiasco and the Supreme Court deciding who won, the World Trade Center attacks, Afghanistan, and now Iraq. There's also all the gay marriage stuff, the Pledge of Allegiance Supreme Court case, the economic/state budget crunches and depressions, all on top of the fact that I now live in Washington DC. So ask me this question in another 20 years ...

And for the record, I think it's stupid that Lafayette actually has an incorporated street called "Park Avenue," particularly since that "avenue" is simply a gravel road. I'm not opposed to the road at all - it has made things MUCH easier around there, including parking for all of our hordes of people. But please. Park Avenue for THAT?

No comments: