Monday, November 22, 2004

Pie Recipes

Here is the recipe for pumpkin pie straight from the Libby's website. I always start with this recipe but then I make some modifications. I've tried other brands of pumpkin but they don't taste as good. My additions include more cinnamon another teaspoon or so, more cloves, probably double that, too about 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and some allspice if you can find it. Taste the mix before you pour it into the pie crust and make sure it tastes right. The recipe here is for one pie but the big cans, like I usually get makes two pies so be sure to double it if that's what you use. DO NOT GET PUMPKIN PIE MIX!! I suppose if you did you could add more spices to it and it would turn out OK.

Pumpkin Pie
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) CARNATION Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
Whipped cream (optional)

Directions:
MIX sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425° F. for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.


Apple Pie
1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust
5 cups apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup white sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons butter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C.) Arrange apple slices in unbaked pie shell. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
Mix 1/3 cup sugar with flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Spoon mixture over apples.
Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until apples are soft and top is lightly browned.

I like this recipe for apple pie because I've never been very successful at making top crusts. This one is super easy. If the apples you're using aren't very tart add a teaspoon or so of lemon juice to the apples before you put the top crust on.

I know I could have posted these to the cookbook and I should add them but I wanted to get them on here right away, and this was the quickest way. I found the apple pie recipe on the Internet, too, but it's very similar to the one I use and I didn't need to go look it up. I'll post the one for fudge later. One thing about Mindy's post about pretzels. Be sure to get dipping chocolate because it sets up very quickly. It's also fun to dip pretzels in white chocolate and add candy sprinkles.

Hope this helps,
MOM

No comments: