Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Plans for a new site

Good morning dear family!

The time has come. We need to put together the family website. I think the blog has done very well, and it has proven to be sustainable. We've used it on a regular basis for the last six months. The problem is, it is running on my Jungle Chicken site, and I want to use the limited storage I have for Jungle Chicken related stuff. So here's what I propose.

We could register a domain name (a .com, .net, or .org) and then have it hosted on a service. The current setup I have is pretty inexpensive. The first year would cost each of us seven or eight dollars, and about 2.50 per year after that, depending on how we split it up. I'm open to suggestions about that. I'm also wondering what names we want to try to get, and what priority they should be in. Please submit your ideas for website names, and we can duke it out until we have something we all agree on. As soon as that happens, I'll set it all up, and we'll have a website.

For an additional per month charge, you'll be able to get a private email account through our site. I can't remember how much that was... I'll have more details as we go.

So let me know what you think. Will this work? What would be a fair way to divide the costs? What should we call it?

The good thing about it is we would all own the site, so I would distribute the login information. Any of us could run the site if we wanted to. We could each have our own folder with our own page and images and what not, if we wanted to (e.g. www.sitename.com/tawnia). Of course, the blogger thing is a bit simpler, but who wants simplicity?

Well, that's all for now. I enjoyed talking to Jared last night and I forgot to apologize for not contributing to his lesson. I hope you'll forgive me Jared.

Love,
Eric

No comments: