Saturday, August 21, 2004

More travels from Mom

Gee I really got something going here. This is great. You'll forgive me if I take a few more days on this topic won't you? MIchelle, I'd love to hear more about your science fair. Did you get to go to nationals, or was there such a thing? What was your project? I'm sure we'd all love to hear.

Now to my continuing saga - The travels of Evelyn Palmer.

The first vacation Frank and I took (other than going to Phoenix to visit my parents or to San Diego to visit Chet) was in 1971. Max and Jean had been at our home on their vacation trip and then we went to Utah and saw them again. They had picked up Mom and Sylvia in Arizona and we met them in Salt Lake City. Getting to Salt Lake was an adventure. Our transmission was acting up and we drove most of the way through Utah in second gear, going very slow. It was a long hot trip. We got our car fixed in Salt Lake and had a much better time after that. We picked up Mom and Sylvia and took them back down through Utah to the Peterson reunion. We stopped to visit Mom’s Aunt Teeny who was in her 80’s. Mom showed us where she lived when she was a little girl. It was special to be there with her. We met lots of cousins at the reunion. Uncle Ronald was there but there weren’t many others I’d ever met before. The reunion was at Fish Lake, which is on top of a mountain. It was too cold to swim in but some of the cousins had boats we could ride on. We stopped at Bryce Canyon National Park on our way home but we were all too sunburned to go hiking. Then we drove down through Zion and headed on home to California. Mom and Sylvia came with us and when we got back to California, Speedy paid for Mom’s flight home to Arizona and Sylvia stayed with them for a while.

Here are a few pictures from that trip. If you would like Mom's memories of that adventure I can post them or they are on the CD that I made. Does everyone have a copy? If not I'll get you one real soon.

No comments: