Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Emily's Scripture

Hello, family. The last time I read the Book of Mormon, I had a thought, something that hadn't occurred to me the first ten times I read it. (Some of you may have heard this before.)

Alma 2:29-31

"And it came to pass that Alma fought with Amlici with the sword face to face; and they did contend mightily, one with another.

"And it came to pass that Alma, being a man of God, being exercised with much faith, cried, saying: O Lord, have mercy and spare my life, that I may be an instrument in thy hands to save and preserve this people.

"Now when Alma had said these words he contended again with Amlici; and he was strengthened, insomuch that he slew Amlici with the sword."

What can we learn from these verses? We can see Alma had faith, and he wanted to be an instrument in the Lord's hands in saving the people, and that he was strengthened.

I also think it shows that we can pray anywhere, at any time. Alma was in the middle of a duel and he was praying, and this prayer was answered. I do not think he knelt down; he might not have even stopped fighting. It was an interesting thought and I thought I would share it.

Love,
Emily

No comments: