Friday, August 20, 2004

Interesting Places Continued:

Another trip I took with my parents was when I was 16. We were living in Everett, Washington and Ray lived in Lompoc, California. He sent Dad a letter with a check for $50 and said, “Here is the gas money come down and see us”. So we did. The highlight of that trip was going to Solvang, a Danish community near Ray’s home. It was wonderful being there with my mom as we looked through all the little shops. When my mom was a young girl she was supposed to go to Denmark. Every year her aunt traveled there and took one of her nieces or nephews as her traveling companion. My mom was supposed to be the next one to go but her aunt’s health didn’t allow her to go to Denmark anymore so Solvang was the closest Mom ever got. I love Solvang and I’ve been there a few other times. We stopped there last summer on our way to San Diego for the reunion and it’s bigger and better now. But seeing my mom on her “visit to Denmark” was really special.

No comments: