Friday, August 13, 2004

Jared's lesson

I don't have a scripture for you, but I do have this idea: what's the first thing you think of when you think of *a specific individual*? Is it a happy thing? Or does just the mention of their name make you seethe with anger? Well, then you haven't forgiven them yet. That's my personal gauge on the forgive-o-meter when I need to put it into use.

My other note relating to forgiveness is that if you don't forgive, you become bitter and angry and unappealing - I've seen it in a few people and ... eewwwww ... I don't care to be around them at all. The person you hate probably doesn't even KNOW that you hate them, or if they do know, they likely don't care. Or they've moved past it. Whichever it is, they are no longer affected, so the only person you're hurting is yourself. Most importantly, the Spirit of the Lord cannot take up full residency in your heart if you are reserving part of your heart to be angry with someone. You're cheating yourself out of the full companionship of the Spirit by harboring any bad feelings at all.

End of soapbox lecture ... like I said, I have no scriptures right now to back up any of that - just personal experience. Good luck with your lesson, Jared!

No comments: