Friday, August 27, 2004

The BIG THREE-OH!

Happy birthday, Eric! And I bet I'm the first one to wish you a happy birthday, even though you don't know it because you're probably still asleep. It's 6:30 on the West Coast right now ...

I also paused for a moment of reflection when I turned 30 about all the things I'd done leading up to that point. I had also graduated from college, served a mission, could do my own laundry, and drove a stick shift. I looked at the decade mark as a level. Your 20s are for doing things like getting your advanced education, establishing your independence and self-reliance, and generally figuring out adult life. Your 30s are for applying all that learning and putting it to use, and really making your mark in the world. (Whatever mark you choose to make - some people want to make a small mark, and others want the biggest paintbrush possible to make some kind of sweeping statement.) A lot of people could say that yeah, yeah - Trina's only excited about her 30s because she finally got married. Not so - I most definitely enjoy being married. But I had come to these conclusions right around my 30th birthday, which was a whole year before I even met Adam.

So go forth! Happy birthday!

1 comment:

Eric said...

Thanks Trina. Now that I am finally thirty (and luckily I was asleep at 6:30 AM, though I was awake at 1:30 and 3:30 and 4:15). So Laurel wished me a happy birthday first, at 1:30 this morning. Sorry. But thank you very much for the perspective. I think dreading this point was the worst thing, and now that it's here there's no going back! On to the future!