Thursday, August 05, 2004

Eric's Scripture

One scripture that I think applies is one that I read this morning, 1 Nephi 11:1.

For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot. (1 Nephi 11:1)

As you can see from my added emphasis, the thing that struck me about this scripture was that Nephi had a desire for knowledge and believed the Lord could teach him, and then sat pondering these things in his heart. This verse may not mention prayer specifically, but these are elements that are essential in prayer: desire, faith, and a pondering heart. Perfunctory prayers don't do much. I'm trying to follow this as I read the scriptures-- really pondering the things I read. Prayer before and after reading my scriptures and writing down my thoughts has helped in this.

No comments: