Wednesday, June 29, 2005

We are now in California

Here's the basic outline of our trip so far, from my perspective (this is Emily):

Friday: We drove from Oregon to Provo, Utah. I lost my voice.
Saturday: I hung out at Tawnia's apartment with Amy, and we went to a bookstore. I got a new Star Wars novel. In the evening, we went to the Manti Pageant. It was great, at least what we saw of it. They ended the show about fifteen minutes early due to a storm. They made an announcement: "Ladies and gentlemen, we are sorry but . . ." I'm not sure what was said next, because the thunder drowned it out, but by then everyone was running to their cars.
Sunday: We drove from Salina to Zion, stopping in Koosheram; Mom got some pictures of gravestones. Our great-grandparents were among the first settlers there.
Monday: We toured Zion, taking a bus into the canyon. I found the geology fascinating, because I did just finish taking a geology class. The sandstone cliffs tower three thousand feet above the canyon. We went on the shortest hikes in the park, and in the evening, a ranger told us about the various animals. We did see deer, squirrels, a snake, lots of birds including wild turkeys, and a couple of fish.
Tuesday: We had not planned to leave early, but the thunder woke us up. We'd just gotten the van loaded when it started raining. We ended up eating breakfast near St. George and drove to Las Vegas. I spent most of the afternoon with my nose in a book.
Wednesday: We left Las Vegas around noon and drove to California. We're now at Aunt Cheryl's. Tomorrow: Knotts Berry Farm.

Love,
Emily

1 comment:

Michelle said...

So what book did you get?