Wednesday, January 19, 2005

on second thought ...

We will not be going to the inauguration after all. Part one of the decision to not go downtown for the parade was the extent of the security. There's security, and there's paranoid. It's gone PAST paranoid into the realm of downright ridiculous. About 200 blocks downtown between the White House and the Capitol are completely barricaded as of this evening for a frickin' PARADE - everyone was "recommended" to go home early today to get out before the area is sealed off, but you had to take vacation time to do it. Excuse me? You're kicking me out and I have to pay for the privilege? My office is in the restricted zone, and our internal option was to go home early and make up the time later. Well, since I will be working approximately 35 hours in 3 days (instead of 21) next weekend when I'm in Memphis - voila! Time made up. And then some. To go back for the parade would have involved going through many, many security/search checkpoints and we would not have been allowed to take anything in with us. Going downtown to wait for a parade for 5 or 6 hours with no chair, no food, no nothing - nope. Not happening.

Part two of the decision: the weather has been in the balmy 60s - a VERY mild winter. But on Monday, the temperature took a nosedive to down around 20, clear to just above 0 with the wind. It started snowing around 10:30 this morning and we had over an inch in the first hour, so people started going home. Our head director went around just after 11 and said the same option still stood - go home early because of the weather and make up the time later. I have the same one-word response - Memphis. I left the office at noon, and because of the weather, my bus route was cancelled until the roads were plowed. So I worked my way via Metro and bus over to Georgetown, which took almost 2 hours, met Adam on campus, and walked the rest of the way home with him.

Very amusing, Tawnia - way to hide your calling right there in plain sight. As a veteran of many, many fields of combat in that arena, may I offer my sincere condolences and best wishes for your success. HA! I wonder how it will compare with being Relief Society president - I did have a lot of good experiences in that calling, but it also stands as the most difficult calling I've ever had. Good luck.

No comments: