Sunday, January 16, 2005

Favorite Smells

ok.... been a while....

Favorite smells...... I like wildflowers out in the field. Spent much of my youth moving irrigation pipes across fields, always remembered the smell of the wet flowers. Very strong, almost pungent. The smell of buffalo beans (a small yellow flower, almost shaped like a bean I guess) on a hot summer day with no breeze. Willows. They smell good hot, cold or wet...they just do. Freshly turned earth, the smell of rain as it first starts hitting the ground, the smell of hay the morning after it's been cut. Wind carrying the smoky flavor of a distant fire. Rice, as it's steaming and almost ready. The smell of soya sauce and garlic as I make fried rice. The smell of a good spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove. The sweet smell of mint and the strong smell of sage. I could go on and on.... I always smile when a familiar smell from my past wafts by teasing and tantalizing my senses. Memories are very strongly associated to the senses. Much like how a song from the past will remind you of a friend or a place or some significant occurance that influenced you.

This was a fun question, left me feeling nostalgic.

Jason

No comments: