Saturday, July 23, 2005

Camping

I remember when I was a kid looking at people in RVs and thinking that they didn't know how to appreciate the outdoors. I also remember that the first time I ever stayed in a motel was in 1996. But we did a lot of camping on that trip, too. We got very good at putting up the tent. I remember in Maine we got to the campsite after dark and there was a lot of wind, so that wasn't easy. (I never liked having to do that after dark.) It wasn't fun camping when it rained, either, because the tent would almost always leak.

We have camped in some nice places: Yellowstone (the water was actually warm because of the nearby hot springs), Yosemite, Sequoia, Crater Lake (it was July but there was still a lot of snow on the ground -- I think the best time to go there would be about mid-August), Zion, and lots of other places. I liked waking up early and listening to the birds. And I loved stepping outside to look at a deer or mountain or river. And I liked being with my brothers and sisters. (Nathan, remember the time you told us about the Indian squaws but you couldn't remember the word so you called them sasquaches?)

Emily

2 comments:

Skippy said...

yes I remember. That was at bryce canyon in a giant teepee.

Skippy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.