Wednesday, December 01, 2004

24 Days Until Christmas!

Happy Birthday to you, Laurel! I hope you have the chance to celebrate and have lots of fun (any time I was ever with you was fun!). I was VERY excited to hear about your paintings selling. I hope I get to share news like that sometime too.

To answer the Christmas question ... Thanksgiving weekend (or the first weekend in December, we did it on Dad's birthday once), we set up the tree. I remember going out and picking one from the tree farm, but then there was the pain of getting it to stand up straight, keeping it watered, and having pine needles scattered across the floor. Fake trees have their perks! We would decorate everything, usually saving the very top for last. It was always a big production, when we were younger, to put the angel on top. Stockings, the Nativity Scene, the village on the buffet, the village across the mantle .. and lots and lots of garland everywhere. Of course there was the Christmas music playing in the background. Oh, and the smell coming from the Christmas trunk .. it was just the smell of Christmas, I can't describe it other than that. Then all the smells from the kitchen too .. lots of cookies and treats to take caroling. I don't remember the different kinds from when I was younger .. I just know that we always went caroling. In the more recent years we'd make sugar cookies, fudge, chocolate dipped pretzels, peanut butter chocolate chip, chocolate (from the molds we got from the German advent calenders) and anything else we were in the mood for. It was warm, fun, family time. Great great memories. I only hope that my future children will have such wonderful memories too.

No comments: