Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mount Vernon

Yesterday and today, they were redoing the computers at Adam's work, so he had the day off. That meant I had the day off. On Monday, I saw Ford's Theater and the Library of Congress.

Today, I went to Mount Vernon. It took two hours to get there via the Metro and buses, but I got there. I took a tour of the mansion first thing when the lines were nonexistent. In fact, for a while, I was on my own. They have tour guides in the different rooms of the mansion. It is beautiful. And then I looked around at the other buildings. There were two walking tours -- one about the landscapes and gardens (which were beautiful) and one on the slaves' lives.

After lunch, I went to the wreath laying ceremony at Washington's tomb. They have volunteers lead the pledge of allegiance (in this case a group of girl scouts), then someone places the wreath on a metal stand in the tomb (usually a member of the military), and then someone reads a prayer that George Washington wrote. I did that.

I also saw a farm with a sixteen-sided threshing barn, livestock, and gardens. It was very interesting. Washington was a brilliant farmer and a stickler for detail.

And now I'm thinking that I might apply for a summer internship at Mount Vernon and similar locations.

No comments: