Saturday, August 26, 2006

computer fast

The Caudles are going on a computer fast for Sunday, August 27 ... I'm thinking that we are WAAAAAY too reliant on the computer for entertainment, and it's the first place we go when we're even remotely bored. Or even when we're not bored. Taking turns isn't even an issue because I use the main desktop computer, and Adam has his laptop (with all of his games loaded on both). And particularly on the Sabbath. Sure, computer time on Sunday is not bad - we could email or IM with family and friends, or read/listen to something on LDS.org, or post on the blog. But there are many other things we could be doing on Sunday too, like, oh, reading our scriptures.

I'm also trying to think of ways to make Sunday a stand-apart day from the rest of the week, now that we're home a lot more and the days are all pretty much the same, even Sunday. Adam isn't in class very long every day - he does study at the library, but he's still home a lot more now than when he was at the Senate. And I'll be home all day every day starting next weekend - I'll be on the computer plenty with working on my medical transcription training so I can get a stay-home job. (No, I'm not done with it, but if I don't quit my regular job, I'll NEVER get done with it. I'm shooting for the end of December to finish.) Anyway, so because we're on the computer all the time anyway, even though they are mostly productive things, getting OFF the computer will be a Sabbath thing.

No, I'm not saying that all of you should do this too - I don't know what your computer habits are. I just thought I'd share.

Today, we went to the American History museum because it's closing for 2 years. They're gutting the building and remodeling everything. I hope they make the exhibits easier to get through - they're a bit of a maze right now. A lot of things were closed already, but oh well. At least we went.

No comments: