Friday, April 01, 2005

he?

First of all, don't scare me with that "can't hear the heartbeat" stuff about the baby. That was our omen of bad news coming. I'm glad you promptly followed it up the ultrasound description, but geez. It gave me (and Adam also when I read it to him verbatim on the phone) a jolt. Anyway, Eric, you said He. So you know the baby is a boy? You HOPE the baby is a boy? You think the baby is a boy even though that's not confirmed by the ultrasound yet? What are you saying here?

Another week down the tubes - another week closer to a conference that I'm entirely unready for (it starts 2 weeks from yesterday), and another week closer to when we can take a road trip for 10 days and get out of this forsaken place. Most of the time I like it here, but sometimes, the god complex of Congress and President Bush really really really really gets to me. Like this whole week and the Terri Shiavo crap. I'll get into the whole soapbox political enlightenment for you all later, but I'll just leave it like this for the moment - I'm not a Republican anymore. I'm a conservative, but the Republican federal leadership sure as heck isn't. There is not currently a political party in the US that is conservative. President Bush and the "conservative" members of Congress are feeding the American public a BIG FAT LIE, and they think they're God, and it's sickening. I want to go home ... where the god-complex is still alive and well, but not so much in my face that I want to scream and/or throw something through a window.

2 comments:

Eric said...

1. No, we don't know, think, or wish the baby is a boy. Using "he" is just easier and more natural than using "it" or "he or she" or some other bizzare post-feminism construction.

Oh, and sorry for scaring you like that. It certainly wasn't my intention.

2. Thanks for the heads up on your current political opinions. Since you brought politics to the site, I will just say, please tread lightly. We are 10+ unique individuals with different opinions and sometimes very different opinions.

Since you brought it up though, I think I agree with you on this issue (frankly though, I'm really not sure) but I support the president and the Republican party on the whole. Oddly enough, for a Mormon, I generally support the party more on economic policy (smaller government, lower taxes, etc.) than on moral issues, though gay marriage and abortion are still issues I feel strongly about.

This case is tough. I think the president is putting his power where his convictions are though. And let's face it, he lost this battle.

Michelle said...

I'm one of those with the VERY different opinions in general. I don't know all the details of the issue, and honestly I can't tell which side you all are on, and honestly I don't want to know. I won't tell you which side I'm on, and we'll all be happy. But I haven't been a member of any political party for many many years, because I realized long ago they're all a bunch of crooks, and their party's "values" don't mean a thing once the elections are over. I think politicians are like insurance companies - we tolerate their existence because it's necessary to make the system work. So welcome Trina to the no-political-party party!