Monday, October 22, 2007

Wildfires

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a quick note from fire-ravaged Southern California. We could see the Santiago Canyon fire from the freeway as we drove home from Rachel's last night. There was also a fire right in Irvine, not far from where I am right now. I've heard that these fires are pretty well contained though. We're safe. I came into work; Laurel is home with the kids. The smoke is giving us all runny noses and watery eyes.

The worst is in San Diego County. It's spreading from quite a ways inland. One of my co-workers is in Oceanside, and is IMing with me now. They've been asked to stay off the freeways to make room for evacuations. The city of Ramona was evacuated, and now I'm hearing rumors about Escondido and Fallbrook. Oh, she just typed "They're evacuating everyone between the 56 and Del Dios hwy, from the 15 to the 5." That's a huge area just South of Escondido and San Marcos. I'll keep you posted. I think Uncle Speedy and Aunt Debbie are still in New Hampshire, but I'm not sure. I know that James lives in that general area, and I'm not sure about Jake. I'll let you know when I hear anything.

No comments: