Wednesday, October 03, 2007

one down

Since October 3 ends in 90 minutes and the baby hasn't quite dropped yet ... Emily's guess has come and gone. She called this morning to let me know she was at the temple and Adam thought she was calling to ask if the baby was here. I said, "Not unless I can get it at Costco." I did a number of errands today that will hopefully fill any gaps until after the baby comes. If I've figured this correctly, the only things we'll need from a store over the next 2 or 3 weeks will be regular groceries like milk and produce.

I was thinking a little about Mom's question and Tawnia's response to it. If we're talking non-tangible gifts, we could go for days. Mom and Dad have given us the gifts of life, raising us in the gospel, trust, love, etc. As siblings, there's trust, friendship, and moral support. Those of us with spouses give each other our whole selves, and we've given Mom and Dad grandchildren.

As far as actual objects ... I think the best gift that I gave was when I got Mom and Dad symphony tickets to see Victor Borge. Everyone was excited about that one - Tawnia came to me a few days before Christmas and said that she sneaked them out of the gift bag under the tree "just to hold them" but no one had seen and then she put them back. And Mom TOTALLY shrieked when she realized what they were for - not just the symphony, but Victor Borge. No one has ever reacted to anything like that from me, before or since.

The best gift I've been given was from Adam on my first birthday that we celebrated together - he got me a keyboard as our "filler" piano until we can get a real one. I've always really appreciated the thought that went into that.

1 comment: