Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Clarissa in the MTC

Wow, what a cool experience! For those of you who have never gone or taken someone to the MTC take the next opportunity you have to do it. I was the one who got emotional and cried during the singing of "Called to Serve" and then got Clarissa started. I think it's all pretty surreal for her still. I will be e-mailing Jared with her address in a moment so he'll put that on her page. She also will have the opportunity to e-mail on her preparation day even while in the MTC. I gave her the e-mail addresses that I knew off the top of my head.

The weather was absolutely crazy here this morning. It was snowing from some time in the middle of the night until about noon. I was worrying about driving in when my friend Janee called to see what I was doing today. She wanted to go to the temple to do initiatories. She ended up driving us into Provo (and even took some pictures of us) and then was supposed to go to the temple while she waited for me (except that she had forgotten her recommend, I found out later.) It worked out well for me and when I came out of the MTC the sun was shining and there was blue sky, I'm taking that as a good omen.

Clarissa wanted me to pass on a few of the funny things that the temple president said. One thing was that someone suggested they send missionaries out at sixteen. Two reasons, 1. they know everything, 2. their mothers wouldn't cry when they left. He also said that there are three sins that senior couples commit: sins of omission, sins of comission, and sins of no mission.

Here we are outside the MTC after we dropped off her luggage. I think it's a pretty good picture.
And here is Sister Palmer all official with her name badge. The orange sticker means that today is her first day... that way they know who needs help. She'll be fine.

After the MTC president and his wife spoke they showed the video "Called to Serve". The same one that I remember Eric watching everyday from when he got his call until he went into the MTC. Then we hugged goodbye... once for each of you. She didn't cry and I kept myself under control at that point.

Anyway, know I have to get to the homework that I haven't been doing for the last two days... school started Monday and I ALREADY feel behind! Yikes.
Love you all,
Tawnia

1 comment:

treen said...

Cool - I was hoping you'd post right away about Clarissa going into the MTC. It is pretty surreal when you're reporting to the MTC. And really, it's a little surreal to me that Clarissa is there.

The sticker they put on your tag on the first day was, back in my day, fondly referred to as a "dork dot." After my first day, I put my dork dot on the back of my tag (along with other stickers I acquired along the way), and there it still resides to this very day in my scrapbook.

I will now go write my first letter to Clarissa ...