Thursday, July 06, 2006

Timp Cave

We did borrow a car from Tawnia's friend, so we were able to get to the cave. We started hiking about two hours before our tour was scheduled to begin. And we needed those two hours. Clarissa and I aren't used to the high elevation, and the trail does go up a mountain. We did see a snake along the way; I heard it moving among the bushes first, but I didn't see anything for a little while. Tawnia took pictures (she took a lot of pictures). There were a lot of places to stop and rest, and we sat on every bench along the trail. But we finally all made it to the top.

So we got into the tour. Timponogos Cave is not a cavern, and the tunnels connecting the different rooms were very narrow. And there were places where we had to duck, such as to get around a formation that looks like a dinosaur head. There was a lot of cave popcorn and bacon. (Whoever first explored caves must have been hungry.) And there are helictites, rare formations where the stone grows sideways. There are a lot of these in Timp Cave. It's very beautiful. I really like caves.

The tour was fairly short, and it only took forty-five minutes to hike back down. I got a postcard for my collection. And I checked another item off my One Hundred List. (Actually, it's currently my Sixty-Six List, because I never did get it all the way to a hundred.)

No comments: