Sunday, July 30, 2006

Round and round and round I go

First off, I did not get lost yesterday. I always knew exactly where I was. Where the place was that I was trying to get to -- that's another story.

Yesterday, Trina dropped me off at the Metro Station, and I rode down to the Mall. I went to the Natural History Museum (I got lunch there). They had an exhibit on Antarctica (and you all know how I like penguins), so I wanted to see it. The problem was, I couldn't find it. I knew it was on the first floor, so I walked around in circles until I was able to get directions.

Then I went to the Art Gallery. There's a huge dome in the middle, and then many galleries, one leading into another. So I looked at the paintings (I liked the Monet paintings and landscapes). And it just went on and on, and after about an hour, I started wandering in circles again trying to find my way out. (Good thing there are exit signs near the floor beside the doors.)

When I was leaving, I asked for directions to the Metro station, because I wanted to go to the National Portrait Gallery and American Art Museum which had just recently opened. Next time I must ask which street I should cross. I never did find the station in question. But I eventually (by following a family of tourists) found another station. And then I had to find out which way it was to the gallery, which was four blocks from the station.

The Portrait Gallery was nice. I saw portraits of Civil War generals, Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, and the founding fathers -- in that order. Yes, I went through all the exhibits backwards. I did the same thing with the American President exhibit.

I actually skipped the modern art exhibits, because my feet were hurting, and I made it back without getting mixed up once. Although there was a truck parked in the middle of the road.

And today, my adventure involved a vacuum cleaner. It was not working. So I starting pulling hair from the rollers. And I cut hair and yarn from the rollers. And I pulled some more. And more, and more, and more. (I am in no way exaggerating.) But it still didn't work, so I pulled off the catcher and dumped it out. And Trina asked if there was a filter in there. And I found the filter, buried under a mountain of dirt. And now the vacuum works.

No comments: