Tuesday, October 03, 2006

General Conference

I watched general conference at the stake center. It's about ten blocks from where I live, but I got rides most of the time, and I didn't head all the way back in between sessions. On Saturday, I headed up to campus to hang out with some friends and then I took myself out to eat at Subway. On Sunday, I just remained at the church the whole time.

So I got very little studying done over the weekend. But it was a great conference. My institute teacher (by the way, I'm taking teachings of the living prophets, so our lessons are from conference talks) -- anyway, my institute teacher said we should go with a question in mind. I did. And it was answered within the first half of the first session -- third talk, actually. And then it was confirmed in the other sessions. It wasn't just the talks -- there were also hymns.

By the way, what happened during the closing hymn was incredible. The Tabernacle Choir started singing "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet," and I wanted to sing, too. Then, after they sang the third verse, the conductor turned and everyone joined in singing the first verse again. Millions of people must have been singing at that moment. It was beautiful and powerful. I can't remember the last time we were able to sing the closing hymn.

No comments: