Sunday, September 21, 2008

Grandparents

In answer to Mom's question: Who were your grandparents and great-grandparents? What memories or stories do you have of them?

First off, I know that I have great-grandparents, and I know they have names, but I don't always remember those names off the top of my head. This is most likely due to the fact that they died before I was even thought of.

As far as my grandparents go. We'll start with Dad's parents and then move over to Mom's. My paternal grandfather is Louis Dean Palmer. He died in 1970 before I was born.... though I might have at least been thought of at this point. (Was I?) I don't have any memory of him, but I have heard a lot of stories about him. He was Shirley Temple's chauffeur and body guard when she was a young teenager and she called him Palm Tree. Dad said that she called him that because of his name and because he was tall... but if he was tall, why did none of those tall genes get passed on?? Anyway, I always liked to use that as one of my "claims to fame."

Grandma Palmer, Severa Theresa Knobloch Palmer, lived until October 2006. I have a few memories of Grandma. When I was little I had these orange knit slippers that she had made. I also remember getting cards for my birthday with money in them, usually about a month after my birthday, but it was the thought that counted. I also remember going to California to visit her a few times. I think the last time we visited we joked about having a big party for her when she turned 100. (That didn't happen though.) I remember that once the younger kids got left at Grandma's to be babysat and we older kids went somewhere with Mom and Dad... but I don't remember where we went, I just remember dropping off and picking up the little kids. I also remember that we took her organ home with us to Oregon. It was quite the ordeal, and then we only kept it for a few years after that. I remember getting the news that Grandma had died. It was right after going to a baptism and Mindy and I were driving over to have lunch with all the people who had attended the baptism. I ended up taking the entire next week (which was a short week so it worked out) off from work and went to Grandma's funeral. I was asked to sing and Uncle Gary told me that I should be part of "that Mormon Tabernacle Choir thing."

My mom's father was Elmer Porter Beers, I hear that he went by Bud. Grandpa died when I was five or six years old. I remember that Grandpa seemed really tall, probably because I was so little. I remember going to Grandma and Grandpa's and watching the Lawrence Welk show on their little black and white TV. I remember looking at the dollhouse that Grandpa was making for Jenny and looking forward to when he would make one for me, but he died before that ever happened. I remember learning the "Grandpa-pa" song to sing to Grandpa when he came over and being scared to sing it. I remember going to the nursing home and seeing Grandpa for the last time. I actually don't remember much other than the drive there. And for years after that I would remember as we were driving down certain roads that these were the roads that we took to see Grandpa at the nursing home. I also remember Grandpa's funeral. Eric was really upset and laid on the bench in the back of the chapel and cried. I didn't understand what was happening, but knew that Eric was sad, so I laid on the bench next to him and cried myself. Then someone (Uncle Gary or Uncle Chet... I'm not sure which) came and picked me up. I remember someone asking him who he was holding and he said, "It's Tawnia, Evelyn's daughter."

Grandma Palmer, Erma Christine Peterson Beers, was a sweet little Grandma. I remember visiting with her a lot. She would write notes and cards to me always telling me how sweet I was. Granted, I was a little kid, but I still have those in a box at home to treasure. Again, I remember going to watch the Lawrence Welk show at her house. I think I remember that a lot. I have a vague memory of Grandma and Grandpa spending Christmas with us one year (is that just my imagination.) I think the day Grandma died, I remember Mom getting the news and standing in the kitchen crying. Again, I didn't really understand what was happening, but I think I just stood there and cried too. I remember going to Uncle Speedy's and all of the boys were given one of Grandpa's old ties, and all of the girls were told to pick something out of Grandma's jewelry box. I chose a pin that was shaped like a Christmas tree. It was gold and the ornaments were plastic "jewels." I think I must have thought they were real. I wore that pin for several Christmas' after that and still have it somewhere in a box at home. The jewels have been falling out and I need to get them fixed. I think the thing that I remember the most about Grandma is that she loved me.

Okay, some of those memories could be totally made up, because they all happened before I was eight... (except the more recent Grandma Palmer memories) so I'm curious as to how accurate I was.
Love,
Tawnia

1 comment:

Frank and Evelyn said...

They sound pretty accurate to me, except I didn't know the part about you and Eric laying on the bench and crying at the funeral. In 1970 we knew we wanted lots of kids and we had names for several but yours was chosen later. So yes you were thought of but not as Tawnia.