Tuesday, November 27, 2007

family history thoughts

There's apparently a big push in our stake to get people to do family history. There was a survey passed around in Relief Society and priesthood this week to ask if people are familiar with the Temple Ready and PAF programs and such, and general questions about what has been done already in our family history. My answers to the survey were that all the easy stuff has been done - we're now on the hard stuff, and it's really not a priority for me especially since I know that other people in my family are doing the heavy lifting right now.

Then it occurred to me that there's more to family history than a string of names and dates and places put into the PAF program - there are stories. So I think I will suggest to our family history coordinator that she also encourage people to do interview type things with older members of their family to preserve their more recent history before people die. I know Mom is working on her personal history with that questions-in-a-jar thing, which is good. Make sure Dad does it too, Mom!

And this is just now coming to mind - what if we started working now on doing a Beers history, and get it ready for the 2009 reunion? Could you all help me come up with questions to send to all of our aunts and uncles, and questions to send to all of the cousins? Then I'll send an email out to everyone to gather the stories/answers, and start compiling and formatting to get it ready for printing.

No comments: