Friday, November 16, 2007

do you have cable?

If you don't ... you're about to lose your TV signal. All TV stations in the country are switching to ONLY digital signal on Feb. 17, 2008 (most have been doing a dual signal as they've upgraded over the last 10 years or so), and regular "analog" TVs won't be able to read it. I don't think anyone in our family has upgraded to an HDTV (except Jared - if I remember right, he won one), which will pick up the digital signal without cable. If you have cable or satellite or DirectTV, you're fine with an old TV. If you're like us and don't have cable, you need a converter box for your TV which will apparently be available at electronics stores after the first of the year.

More information: www.dtvanswers.com

I saw this website and the info on the news yesterday. Just thought I'd pass it on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have an HDTV but also a regular one, and we do have Dish. But Let me just emphasize really quick that you don't have to go get cable - that converter box will be much cheaper than a subscription. Of course, if you want to get cable anyway, you have an excuse now...

Frank and Evelyn said...

Dad said you were mistaken about the date so I looked it up. It's Feb 17, 2009 so we all have another year before we have to worry about it. Thanks for the heads up, though.

treen said...

I checked the website again - when I looked at it before, it did not specify the 2008/2009 difference. Now it does. And the way the news stations were talking about it (I heard the warnings on multiple channels), you'd think it was happening tomorrow.

Adam would love to get some kind of TV additive so he can watch the SciFi channel, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert on Comedy Central, the History channel, and the ever-important soccer games. We'll see. It's certainly not going to happen right now, but maybe in our next home.