Thursday, June 14, 2007

the job hunt

So yesterday I finally made the trip into McMinnville to start the part of the job hunt where I go around to all the places I'd be willing to work and pick up applications. I started at Fashion Bug, not only because it was at this end of town, but because I've wanted to go shopping there for a while, and I figured I'd help motivate myself by doing some browsing first. I ended up picking up a black leather jacket and an application.

The next stop was Payless shoes, another favorite shopping place, because it was right next door. I walked in and asked the lady there if they were hiring. She said YES, and asked me if I had the time to fill out a survey thing on the computer (no surprise, I had to do it when I applied at Payless in Provo). Sure! When I finished, she sat down and explained the situation: she is the Regional Manager (covering a bunch of Oregon and some of California), and the other girl in the store is the brand new manager of this store (her first day). Apparently the last manager made a great assistant manager, but when the other guy got promoted, and she got moved up, she didn't do so well. Everyone on her crew quit. No one gave two weeks notice, they just stopped showing up. So the manager quit too. It was really no surprise, because the store was not how it should be. To the customer, it probably wasn't noticable, but the racks are supposed to be organized a certain way (and they weren't), and nothing was priced for the new sale, and the back storeroom was a horrible horrible mess. They asked me if I could start right away. THEN I filled out the application. I worked for the next several hours, until I needed to go pick up Mom (because I had dropped her off at work so I could use the car). I work a full eight hour shift this afternoon (12:30-9:30), and I'll get all the paperwork finished, so I can actually get paid, because it was just hectic yesterday, and no one knew where the paperwork was. It'll all get worked out though, and I have a job!

No comments: