Thursday, October 16, 2008

Christmas reunion in DC

First of all, I'm not suggesting this be in 2 months, or even next year. But eventually, I think it would be awesome to do a Christmas family reunion in DC. Check out all the awesome stuff there is to do in DC in December ...

- the DC Temple Visitor's Center to see the billions of lights, the international Christmas trees, the collection of international nativity sets, and there's a music performance every single night of December. Last year, we went to a bell choir.

- the White House with all the Christmas decorations, as well as all the Christmas trees out on the Ellipse, with the "national yule log" (a big fire pit that is great when it's freezing cold) and lots of miniature trains around the base of the main tree.

- the miniature electric trains at the National Conservatory.

- the military band Christmas concerts at the Daughters of the American Revolution concert hall

- the "Messiah" sing-along at the Kennedy Center. Wouldn't this be the most AMAZING thing to do????

And it's all FREE. Free free free.

There's also a candlelight tour at Mt. Vernon which goes into sections of the house that are not open the rest of the year, but you have to pay admission for that. And Colonial Williamsburg is also supposed to have a ton of really neat Christmas stuff that you also have to pay for.

We haven't done the Kennedy Center yet but it's definitely on my Top 100 list. I don't think we're going to go this year because of having to be there 2 to 4 hours early just to get in the door, and then the 2 hour performance, etc ... It's 2 days before Christmas and I won't ask anyone to interrupt their own holiday to watch our kids for so long. So we'll just wait until they're a little older. I am going to try to get tickets to the DAR hall for the Navy Band concert this year - the tickets are free, they're just for crowd control. That one is on the 20th this year, which is also the last day of law school for Adam. Definitely a day to celebrate.

You all have to wait until we actually have a big enough home to fit everyone for a few days, but I just thought I'd throw this out here since I was thinking about it.

2 comments:

Frank and Evelyn said...

This sounds wonderful to me. I think it would be great to do that as a reunion some time but even if we don't I'd like to come out and enjoy D.C. in the winter when it isn't so HOT and HUMID.

MOM

tawngap said...

I think we should do it sometime... but like you said, you need to get a house for us to come and stay at first... and I need to earn the money for a plane ticket.