Tuesday, April 22, 2008

outings outings everywhere

Summer, Rosemary, and I have been having lots of fun the past couple of weeks! After we went to the zoo for playgroup 2 weeks ago, the next day we went to Norwood park with our neighbors, about a mile away so it was a good walk for me. Summer had fun playing with her friends Elise and Damon and Ches, and Rosemary mostly slept in the stroller that day.

The day after that, I had to pick up some paperwork from my former office downtown (I'm cashing out my retirement fund - no point in having that perfectly good money just sit there doing nothing, since I can't contribute to it to actually have it be a retirement fund) ... so we went to the office and visited my old boss Susan and my friend Nadia. A lot of people didn't even know I'd had Rosemary, so that made for a bit of entertainment. When we left the office, we metro-ed over to the White House. Adam works right around the corner, so we had lunch with him at the park in front of the White House. I'd like to do that more often - it was nice to see him in the middle of the day.

On Saturday April 12, our friends Walter and Kara came down from Baltimore, and we all went downtown for the parade of the National Cherry Blossom Festival. Summer stayed right with Adam and didn't try to run off at all, which is rare for her. I think she was a bit overwhelmed by it and gradually started clapping for the marching bands and other performers. Her favorite thing was one of the last things we saw - a float with Elmo, Grover, Cookie Monster, Rosita, and Abby Kadabby. The whole time it was coming up the street toward us, she was shouting "Elmo! Cookie Monster!" It was really cute. I thought that Rosemary would be bothered by the noise level, but she didn't react to it. She just looked around like she was taking it all in.

This past week, we didn't do any major outings except trips to a couple of different parks. We also had a friend over one day - William is in nursery with Summer, and has an older brother in preschool. When their mom was helping at the preschool one morning, William came here to play. He and Summer play well together and there aren't really any fights - I like having him over here because he and Summer keep each other occupied and I can actually get some cleaning done!

On Saturday April 19, we went to Walter and Kara's for Erik's 1st birthday. We went to the Baltimore Science Center, which is Maryland's version of OMSI. They have a great kids' room, that even includes a small toddler section for kids under 2. Summer and Rosemary both had a great time. Summer played in the water fountains with the boats (she kept trying to drink out of them) - thankfully, they had ponchos for the kids to wear so they didn't get completely soaked. I found some hand puppets and played with them with Rosemary - she thought they were the most hilarious thing ever, and laughed and laughed with this cute little shriek. I need to get some hand puppets.

We don't have anything planned for this coming Saturday - Adam will be studying for the next 3 weeks because he's now in finals, plus all the ward mission stuff ... So the girls and I will be spending a lot of time at various parks. Today, we drove just into Virginia to a park that my friend Sarah knew about - it was huge! With tons of climbing equipment and slides! Summer and Ethan ran and ran and ran, and Rosemary and Isaac (Ethan's brother who is 4 months old) hung out on a blanket that I put in the shade for them. It wasn't a park that the parents can sit down and hang out at, because it's too big to sit in one spot and see the whole thing to supervise your child. But it was great fun for Summer, so we'll go back even though it's a little more of a drive.

No comments: