Thursday, March 20, 2008

letters to Clarissa

I was going to put this in the comments on Tawnia's post, but it was getting a bit long for going there. So it is now its own post ...

I sent Clarissa addressed and stamped stationery for all of the siblings in her birthday box, so everyone should get at least ONE handwritten letter from her. Nathan got his - at first, he thought it was from me because he recognized my handwriting on the envelope. But I haven't heard directly from her either. My plan is to send her a fill-in-the-blank letter as soon as I get around to making it. That should be easier for her to answer. Maybe you could try something like that, Tawnia, or send her an email asking if she's at least gotten them or something. In her email this week, she said something about responding to emails.

In Clarissa's defense - when I was on my mission, I had to write only 2 letters for the family. Eric was the only one not living at home. If Clarissa wrote to everyone every week, that would be 8 separate letters. And it doesn't look like they have a lot of time - the way I read this week's email, it sounded like they had appointments during the day even though it was P-day. That limits her time even more. Yes, it frequently seems like you're sending missionary letters into a black hole - I've been there with a number of friends I've written to. But having been on the other end as well - trust me, you're not.

And speaking of Clarissa - I noticed that this week was the first time she signed her letter "Sister Palmer" and left her first name out of it entirely. I take that as a good sign that she's getting into things.

No comments: