Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mom and Dad mission plans

Hi all. I think we've known for forever that Mom and Dad want to serve a mission, and plan to "when Dad retires." That's what I've always been told. Recently, particularly after reading the January and February 2011 Ensigns, I've been feeling like it's time to make some specific plans. Here are some things to consider and discuss:

1. Mom and Dad setting a specific target date to turn in their papers.
2. Mom and Dad going through what their options are as senior missionaries - regular proselyting (which is still modified - no tracting for you guys), office work for a mission, family history, temple, etc. and have a family fast to help them decide what particular mission assignment to submit for.
3. Start a savings account specific to the mission goal. I know that everyone is in different phases of life with their personal finances, and everyone would need to discuss with their spouse if/when to contribute to this savings account or help with paying for the mission when Mom and Dad leave. But if I'm told correctly, senior couples do not have the flat monthly contribution that the youth do - their finances are structured differently and I believe they're a lot more responsible for their own costs. I don't know. It's definitely something to check on so we know what we're getting ourselves into.

Thoughts?

No comments: