Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A "Great" Teacher

Today I taught the Kindergarteners about how the Earth revolves around the Sun and rotates at the same time. We practiced revolving and rotating. I was the sun, and they walked around me for the revolving. Then I had them spin around for the rotating. (I didn't have them try to attempt both at the same time.) After leaving my room they go out to recess. I was heading upstairs to make some copies at that same time and one of the kids was trying to put his coat on (upside-down... just doesn't work to well, go figure.) So I helped him put his coat on and we had the following coversation.

Daniel: Thanks for teaching us that stuff about the planents going around the sun today Miss Palmer.
Me: You're welcome.
Daniel: How did you learn that stuff?
Me: I must have had a really great teacher when I was younger.
Daniel: Was Mrs. Neiger your teacher (she is the kindergarten teacher and has adult children, but none my age, so probably wasn't teaching when I was in Kindergarten.)

Anyway, after that I had to go and tell Mrs. Neiger that she must be "a really great teacher" at least in Daniel's eyes.


Another quick story. I was reading with some of my first graders and we were discussing the book afterwards. It was about a girl who moved to the city and didn't have friends and then she went out and made friends. So we talked about moving and having to make new friends. One of the girls then asked, "Do you know how many friends I have?" I said, "No." And she replied, very knowingly, "About a million." I chuckled a little to myself and turned to the other girl and asked her how many friends she had. She thought about it for a minute and then said, "Five." I think one of them was exaggerating, but I'm glad to know she feels loved.

And to finish it off. I am teaching my fifth graders about genetics. Today we were talking about learned behaviors versus inherited traits. One of the students said that personality is inherited. It was at the end of class and that sparked a bit of a discussion. I sent home the question as homework (they have class with me again next Monday). So I want your input... is personality a learned behavior or an inherited trait?

Okay, one more. I drive a couple of girls home after school and on the way I was asking one of the girls what classes she is taking (she's in seventh grade). She told me. Then I asked her about her favorite one. I then pointed out the fact that sometimes the teacher makes a really big difference in the class. I asked her if her favorite teacher was the one that taught her favorite class. Her fifth grade sister was sitting in the back seat and I teasingly said that I couldn't ask her because I'd be hurt if she didn't say it was me. The seventh grader then said, "Actually, she does really like you. She's talked about it at home, so I can be her witness." It was one of those sweet, "aaawww" moments.

Those are the joys of teaching.

No comments: