Saturday, December 27, 2008

the proposal story

So Aaron and I have been talking about getting married for a while, but had decided it would be best to wait until next summer to get engaged. He wanted to ask Mom and Dad's permission, and we didn't want to be engaged for a long time. Basically, I was not expecting anything.

We were spending Christmas Eve at his mother's house out in Cremona, with all of his family. Due to family circumstances and plans we opened all the presents on Christmas Eve after a large dinner. I was happy, watching them all open things, and collecting quite a stash myself as well. Didn't have a clue what was coming up. Thinking back on it though, he couldn't seem to sit still the entire night, like he was waiting for something to happen. Anyway, we all looked around at one point and figured that everything had been opened. That's when Aaron went back behind the tree and pulled out a little red box.

He brought the box over to me, where I was sitting on the floor, and kinda got down on one knee. I pulled off the lid and found a sparkly pink heart necklace and matching pink earrings.



I can't remember exactly how the rest happened, since I was in a daze, but I think he held out his hand with ring number one, and said something like, "I think this would look great with those."



He slipped it on my ring finger and said, "You can wear that until we get THIS one re-sized." And then he went back up to the tree, pulling a little box down from near the angel.



This time, he got down on one knee and said, "I know we've been talking about it, but here's the official question: will you marry me?" I got all blubbery like a girl and started crying and somehow remembered to say yes. (And so we're all clear, the ring isn't purple, it's a pink sapphire.)



We hugged and kissed and his family said hooray. And then I asked, all startled like, "Did you ask my parents?!" He chuckled and said yes .. that was who he had been on the phone with the day before, when I was yelling at him that he would be late for work, and he said it was his mom. And then I called everyone and walked around in a daze.

To answer the other question: the wedding will hopefully be next Christmas, or the following August. Either when he finishes school (next December), so he can move down here while I finish, or when we're both done (I graduate in July 2010) and I can move up to Canada where we plan on living.

No comments: