Monday, August 18, 2008

blog FHE

Wow, this place is dead! What's the deal? Is no one doing anything interesting? At all? Since everyone seems to have an utterly boring life and nothing to share, here's a conversation starter and a blog FHE all in one! Yay!

A couple of weeks ago, I read an article in the June 2008 Ensign called Making Time to be Holy - here so you can read it without having to find that issue. Last week in sacrament meeting, the special music was an arrangement of the hymn More Holiness Give Me. Yesterday in sacrament meeting, all of the talks were about serving in the temple and attending as frequently as possible. The Ensign article keeps coming to mind.

Here are my thoughts on the points of the article:

The issue of "not enough time" - DC is a work-aholic city. If you don't work 12-hour days on a regular basis (particularly if you're an attorney), you're weird and you must not be doing your job properly. Being a stay-home mom is of course all-consuming. It goes back to the title of the article - you have to make time to read your scriptures, pray, attend the temple, etc. like you make time to eat and brush your teeth.

Distractions - The article mentions things like music or TV. Even if you're not watching bad things, it's still time that could be spent on better and more uplifting things. For me, this one is about computer time. Am I using computer time effectively on journal/personal history projects and communicating with family and friends (via blogs or email), or am I just surfing around reading things that are entertaining but have no real value. That's not to say that I can't ever spend any time on entertainment, but if I reach at least a daily minimum of writing time or reading or whatever, then the entertainment is more easily justified to me.

That paragraph is pretty rambly. I hope you at least get the point, even if I did write it poorly.

Sanctification - Becoming holy is another term for becoming sanctified in the Lord.
  • Exercise faith - try to become more like the Savior in thoughts and actions. Do and be what you say you believe.
  • Scriptures and prayer - pondering is a big factor here, and something I'm trying to do more. It's hard to really clear my mind and think about things with the kids constantly yanking on me. I can't even type this post without Summer literally climbing all over the computer chair and shoving things at me, saying "READ!" or "Look, Mommy!" (I've been working on this post off and on for over 4 hours now.) So anyway, I'm trying to figure out when/how I can ponder better.
  • Sacrifice - give up worldly things. All that internet entertainment, perhaps?
  • Obedience - something I'm reminded of on a regular basis is, when the Lord tells you to do something specific, you should just do it so that you can receive more direction and revelation. He's not going to give you more if you haven't done what He already told you.
  • Apply the Atonement - We are saved by grace after all we can do ... (2Nephi 25) Nobody's perfect no matter how hard we try, and the Atonement makes up the difference. In the end, that's what everything comes down to.
These things seem like no-brainers, but the reminder of the article was very good for me at this time in my life. Yes, I still need to do A LOT of work with the basics, and I'm trying to take things up a level and actually advance spiritually instead of sitting stagnant in a rut.

Any thoughts and/or comments?

A couple of things to wrap up -

1 - Who is going to do next week's blog FHE lesson? Scriptures, an Ensign article, something you heard at church recently, a General Conference talk, whatever.
2 - Mom, I will print out this post and mail it to Clarissa. After this, can you please be in charge of making sure it gets sent, either doing it yourself or making sure the lesson person takes care of it? Thanks!

1 comment:

tawngap said...

That's interesting. As I was reading the post I kept thinking that we should print it off and send it to Clarissa. I was even going to make a comment stating that... and then I got to the end and Trina had already suggested it. Wow, great minds think alike. =)