Monday, March 09, 2009

The Proposal

So I am hopping on to post per Eric's request, but I actually have something to tell you all today.

Today, at thirty years old, I received my first marriage proposal. I promptly said no, but let me explain.

There I was, sitting on the floor in my science classroom with 12 first graders. We were getting ready to read, "Sarah, Plain and Tall." I had just handed out the books when Jack leaned against me. I turned to him and sat him back up the non-verbal cue that he should be sitting up tall. He leaned against me again and I looked down at him again. He looked up at me with his adorable blue eyed blonde haired face and said, "Will you marry me?" I didn't laugh. (I'm amazing! I know!) Instead I just smiled and said, "No. I just don't think it would work out." Some of the other students heard my response and wanted to know what Jack had asked. I said, "That's between me and Jack." And then we went on to read chapter five.

The fun part was then going around and telling all the teachers that I'd been proposed to and waiting to see their responses. Then informing them that I had said no... and then telling them that it was a first grader that proposed. I also text messaged a few friends... and I might have made a phone call or two to tell the same story. Let's just say, that it made the rest of my day very enjoyable. So although I'm still single... at least I can now say that I've been proposed to.

No comments: