Friday, December 07, 2012

Christmas memories

I got to chat with Tawnia today.  Me on my laptop at home in Calgary, while Tawnia was on her phone at a grocery store somewhere in Utah.  Emily and Clarissa got to see Aria through Skype.  I was able to share a photo for all my family to see, without having to get it developed, and mailed to everyone individually.  Technology is amazing, and allows me to stay connected to my family spread across thousands of miles.  But even with all that, I miss my family.

It is always around this time of year that I get a bit homesick.  I have a wonderful family here in Canada, especially now with my beautiful baby girl.  But I miss all the special moments of childhood Christmases spent with my parents and brothers and sisters.  I miss the smell of the Christmas trunk that held all the decorations - especially Mom's handmade angel.  There would be Christmas music playing in the background, and someone baking in the kitchen.  Sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies, lots of sprinkles, and amazing fudge.  And although Aaron has come close, no one can replace Mom's pumpkin pie.  Everyone loading up in the van to carol to our neighbors and friends - the Albertsons, the Hubers, the Belnaps.  Playing games together, sleeping under the Christmas tree, gathering in Mom and Dad's room before marching out to retrieve our stockings from off the mantel.  And then playing with all our new games and toys for the rest of the day, not bothering to change out of our pajamas.  I miss all of that.

This is the first year that I get to be a parent; that I get to fill a child's stocking and create traditions for a new little person to remember.  I sincerely hope that she will look back someday with a smile on her face and wish to relive all the wonderful moments with her family.

One other thing I miss is the Christmas memory letters that we've written a few times.  Sadly I came up with this idea after my cards had already been mailed, but I'm hoping that maybe we can share some family memories here on this forgotten blog.

No comments: